Alana Herron panicked when she received an email from her daughter saying that “something bad is happening” at James Lick Middle School in San Francisco.
At least 10 students had ingested what was later determined to be marijuana in edible form, and one of the children was rushed to a hospital in critical condition.
While the students’ intoxication on Tuesday afternoon wasn’t life-threatening, and though all were recovering Wednesday, the incident was “very scary,” Herron said. “It seemed to traumatize a lot of the kids.”
After the initial fears subsided, the San Francisco mom and other parents were left with a stark realization: With the Jan. 1 legalization of recreational marijuana sales to adults upping the accessibility of baked cannabis confections and candy, it could easily happen again.
“This is not a problem tied to James Lick,” said parent Mike Johnson, whose oldest daughter attends the Noe Valley middle school. “To