Despite some popular perceptions, marijuana is not a risk-free drug. Edibles in particular pose a threat to novice users because they deliver larger doses of THC than inhaling, and, once ingested, the user has little choice but to ride it out.
Fortunately, in the almost four years since the first fully legal market opened in Colorado, edible-related tragedies have been mercifully rare. One man shot and killed his wife and is now serving a long prison sentence. At least one other person has fallen to their death.
However, the outcome of overconsumption is far more likely to look like what happened when the New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd ate an infused candy bar in a Denver hotel room. “[She] lay curled up in a hallucinatory state for the next eight hours”, unable even to get a cup of water. “I became convinced I had died and no one was