Pre-emptive packaging

A child sits alone in his father’s car. Bored and inquisitive, he opens the glove box, reaches inside and extracts a bag of gummy candy. Boys will be boys: He dives right in.

Unfortunately, he’s ingesting more than a sugary treat. These are no ordinary gummies—they’re cannabis edibles, stashed for safekeeping but unwittingly discovered. The boy winds up anxious, nauseated and hospitalized.

This isn’t a shock story or Reefer Madness update; it actually happened, just this May, in upstate New York. A similar incident took place in March on a school bus in Ohio. Two dozen reports of youths ingesting edibles have made headlines over the past two years, during which time the journal JAMA Pediatrics

... read more at: