(KPIX 5) — On November 8th, Californians will decide whether to legalize marijuana for adult recreational use. But with the latest Field poll showing Proposition 64 ahead by a two-to-one margin, there’s a growing concern about an unintended consequence – more cases of dogs digesting cannabis products.
“Dogs can die from this. It is uncommon but it’s possible,” said Dr. Karl Jandrey, Associate Professor of Clinical Surgical Radiological Sciences at UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine. “We see probably see one a week but some of my colleagues in private practice in the Bay Area may see more like one or two a day.”
The Pet Poison Helpline found that in the past five years, there has been an alarming jump in the number of dogs accidentally poisoned or intoxicated by marijuana – a 330% increase in cases across the nation.
“It was horrifying,” exclaimed Irene Ogus, the owner